Ben Jones has been guiding for us on Kilimanjaro for the last 7 years and boasts a 100% success rate on the mountain (18 summits, 18 expeditions). For the rest of the year, Ben can be found guiding in Alaska, Antarctica, South America, in the Himalayas and most of the 7 summits. Ben has spent the last 10 years working as a professional guide and instructor in Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, British Columbia, Norway, Argentina, Nepal, Tanzania, Indonesia and Mexico.
Ben is proficient on rock, ice, and snow but spends a majority of his time in the snow on high glaciated peaks. Ben has instructed courses in mountaineering, backcountry skiing, snowboarding, and horse packing. While teaching mountaineering at National Outdoor Leadership School, Ben got to extensively explore the glaciers of the Chugach Mountains, Wrangells, eastern Alaska Range, and remote mountains in British Columbia, as well as in Wyoming and Idaho. In the off season while residing in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and when not traveling and exploring different countries around the world Ben’s hobbies include skiing, climbing, metal work, fixing things, practicing Spanish, and Swahili.
Recently Ben has been very active in the Himalayas. He guided Everest in 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2018 notably guiding the Everest/Lhotse combo in less than 24 hours in 2013. He also led our Cho-Oyu expeditions in 2013 and 2014. With yet another busy year planned in store, Ben will also leading expeditions to Carstenz Pyramid, Cho-Oyu, and Kilimanjaro as well as guiding 3 Vinson expeditions to round out his season as one of the most active guides in the industry.
Guide For:Mount Kilimanjaro
- 18 ascents of Kilimanjaro (15 expeditions guided)
- 6 ascents of Everest, 7 expeditions (guided 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- 2 ascents of Lhotse (personal 2012, guided 2013)
- 1 ascent of Everest and Lhotse in less than 24 hours (guided 2013)
- 2 ascents of Cho-Oyu (guided 2013, 2014)
- 7 ascents of Denali, West Buttress and Muldrow Glacier routes (5 expeditions guided 1 personal)
- 11 ascents of Aconcagua (12 expeditions guided)
- 1 ascent of Carstensz Pyramid (guided, 2012)
- 2 ascents of Orizaba, Mexico (guided)
- 2 ascents of Iztaccihuatl, Mexico (guided)
- 1 ascent of Khuiten, Mongolia (guided)
- 2 ascents of Island Peak, Nepal (guided, 2012, 2013)
- 1 ascent of Lobuche East, Nepal
- First ascent of Mustang Himal in Mustang, Nepal (2014)
- 5 Everest Basecamp treks
- 4 Machu Picchu Lodge treks ( guided 2014, 2015)
- 30+ ascents of Mt. Rainier
- Mt. Baker (6), Mt Shuksan (3), Mt Hood (2)
- Mt. Stuart, Washington, North Ridge
- 1 ascent of Tharpu Chuli, Nepal
- 1 Ski decent of Mt. Moran
- 1 Ski decent of Mt. Rainier
- 3 ascents of The Grand Teton (2 in summer, 1 in winter)
- WEMT (EMT and WFR) / CPR for the professional Rescuer
- Level II Avalanche
- Leave No Trace Master Trainer
Logistics were well organized, everything fell into place and even the smallest details were looked after. Assigning an Alpine Ascents guide is an excellent idea for providing a good flow of communication (especially if there’s a problem or issue). My goal was to summit Kilimanjaro without stumbling too much along the way. More seriously, I made many new, quality friends on this adventure and arrived home safe and healthy.