Alpine Ascents is pleased to be bringing our mountaineering school to the climbing mecca of Chamonix, France. This 8 day program serves as both a great introduction to Alpine Mountaineering and a chance for skilled climbers to further develop skills. We also use this program and a skills assessment and refinement for those looking to join technical climbs such as Denali.
As with all our schools, this is a hands on program with a low 3:1 climber to guide ratio as we understand climbers develop at different paces. Each course is taught by an Alpine Ascents staff guide.
The first four days are spent learning technical skills both on snow, rock, and ice with the last three focused on applying the newly acquired skills on a summit attempt of the Gran Paradiso 4,061m, highest peak in the Italian Alps.
Some of the topics covered: climbing equipment, route finding and navigation, glacier travel, climbing protection, crevasse rescue, rock climbing, steep snow and ice climbing. This is truly a one-of-a-kind course to learn skills in the birthplace of mountaineering: Chamonix, France.
- Course takes place in Chamonix, France and Italy.
- At the conclusion of course, we attempt the highest peak in Italian Alps, Gran Paradiso (4,061m)
- Only American company with an all-inclusive trip costs (hotels, trams, lifts, etc.), making our prices highly competitive
- Includes three nights in Italian/French huts with breakfast and dinner (about $500 US value per/person)
- All hotels included during the trip (Five nights at a three-star hotel in downtown Chamonix, France)
- Includes six trams rides in France/Italy (about $250 US value per/person)
- Ground transportation to Gran Paradiso National Park.
- Welcome dinner in Chamonix, France
- Technical climbing lessons on snow, rock and ice.
- Climb of Aiguille Du Tour prior to Mt. Blanc
- Fully certified IFMGA mountain guides
- Low 3:1 climber-to-guide ratio to help increase learning
- Eight day climbing school program
Climbers who successfully complete this course and with previous experience will be eligible to join our Denali expeditions and other high-altitude climbs around the world.
Increasing technical knowledge/skills in all aspects of snow and alpine climbing including:
- Glacier travel
- Rope/belay techniques
- Rock climbing movement skills in boots
- Ice climbing skills
- Crevasse rescue
- Route finding
- Safe climbing
Developing educated, self-reliant climbers with the ability to evaluate subjective/objective hazards including:
- Rock fall
- Glacier conditions
- Gear evaluations
- Critical decision-making
- Group experience
- White-out conditions
- Wilderness navigation
- Weather conditions
This is a highly recommended shortlist and we would be happy to pass on a longer reading list for those interested. These links will bounce to Amazon.com with reviews.
From 10 Day Cascades Course: Overall I had one of the best experiences in my life during this trip. The program was great – from the first 6 days on Mt. Baker to summiting Rainier via Kautz and getting back home safe. The guides carefully selected our camping and training spots so that we were all […]