We are currently accepting applications for the 2018 summer season.
We actively recruit mountain guides who are dedicated to pursuing excellence in guiding and teaching on the world’s most beautiful and challenging mountains. Alpine Ascents is a world leader in guiding great mountains around the globe for over 20 years. We guide on seven continents and operate climbing programs on Mt. Rainier, in the North Cascades, and in Denali National Park. Alpine Ascents has offices in Seattle, Washington and Talkeetna, Alaska.
Mountain guiding is a highly demanding field which requires great physical and emotional stamina, patience, solid technical skills, strong decision-making abilities, and a passion for imparting knowledge to others. In turn, guides are rewarded with a life in the outdoors, professional growth and development opportunities and very competitive wages. Successful mountain guides applicants will possess the following skills and certifications:
- Strong understanding and mastery of alpine climbing skills
- Ability to assess the needs of the individual and group for safety and success
- Teaching techniques appropriate for adult learners with various climbing abilities
- Experience climbing (and preferably guiding) in the areas where Alpine Ascents offers programs
- Ability to perform and teach self-arrest and crevasse rescue skills
- Minimum of three years alpine climbing and preferably guiding experience
- Excellent ability to lead, communicate effectively and efficiently, be congenial to co-workers, clients, and the general public when guiding, and teach in a kind and friendly manner under stressful conditions.
- Maintain current WFR, CPR, and avalanche certifications. Lead guides on Mt. Rainier must hold an Avalanche II certification.
- Hold a valid U.S. driver’s license
We are actively recruiting female guides.
Most guides begin on our domestic programs in Washington guiding on Mt. Rainier and in the North Cascades. Those who successfully complete 1-2 seasons in Washington are often asked to guide on expeditions such as Denali, Aconcagua, or the Mexico Volcanoes. A select few guides will be offered the opportunity to join us as guides in the Himalayas, on Kilimanjaro, and in Antarctica.
Qualified applicants will be invited to attend a training/try-out in the spring of 2018. This training is designed to familiarize guides with the teaching methods and philosophy of Alpine Ascents guiding. Those who successfully complete this training will be scheduled for the summer season and are expected to be available from May-September. Housing is provided for guides between most trips.
Guides with 5+ years of professional mountaineering guiding experience are welcome to send an employment resume, completed climbing resume, and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Guides will be interviewed and hired based on need and availability.
Guides with significant Alaska guiding experience who meet the above criteria and are interested in working in our Alaska program should send an employment resume, completed climbing resume, and letter of interest to email@example.com. Preference will be given to guides with successful Denali guiding experience. Qualified guides will be interviewed and hired based on need and availability.
Please submit the following to the Program Supervisor, Paul Koubek at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Completed Pre-Employment Application
- Employment Resume
- Completed Climbing Resume
- Copies of current medical training certifications. Indicate your intention to obtain or recertify if not current.
- Copy of Avalanche course completion.
- Copies of other professional certifications such as higher medical training and AMGA course completions/ certifications.
All application materials are held in confidence. Thank you for your interest, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Alpine Ascents is an equal opportunity employer actively encouraging applicants of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin.
It is the policy of Alpine Ascents International not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training including apprenticeship, layoff and termination. Except with respect to sexual orientation, this company further agrees to take affirmative action to ensure equal employment opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions
Unfortunately at this time we do not offer internship opportunities. We do hire summer gear and logistics staff each spring for the summer season, which offers a great deal of learning about working for a guiding company, but does not include field time. If you are interested in opportunities as a summer staff employee, positions will be posted in early January. You can e-mail Matt Miller at email@example.com at that time.
Yes. We maintain a guide house in Ashford, WA.
Guides can generally expect 60+ days of work in the summer season depending on performance and availability.
Excellent program allowing for optimal acclimatization. Good balance between mountaineering and touring the area. Excellent accommodations (unique, good variety). Plenty of good food. I would highly recommend the trip.