Avalanche Rescue Course Itinerary
8am – 5pm at Course Location, WA
Prior to the course, the instructor team will reach out with a specific meeting location and any other pertinent information regarding travel. Carpooling is strongly encouraged. You will receive a course roster so you can arrange transportation with the other students on the course if you so choose.
INSTRUCTOR AND STUDENT INTRODUCTIONS, COURSE OBJECTIVES, COURSE ITINERARY AND LOGISTICS
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE AND AVALANCHE RESCUE EQUIPMENT
- Identify and become familiar with winter personal protective, avalanche rescue, and self-evacuation equipment and their proper use.
- Learn techniques and practice routines to check gear’s function.
Mid day Topics
- Learn about the Avalanche Rescue Quick Reference tool and apply it to rescue scenarios.
- Break out and practice individuals skills of avalanche rescue: assessing the scene and taking leadership, using a transceiver, using a probe, and shoveling.
SINGLE BURIAL SCENARIOS
- Learn by practicing real-life scenarios.
- Integrate individual skills into a rescue scenario.
PATIENT CONSIDERATIONS AND EVACUATION
- Identify potential patient care considerations resulting from avalanche burial or involvement.
- Learn about equipment for self-evacuation and communication to outside resources.
- Learn considerations when interfacing with Search and Rescue and Emergency Medical Services.
SCENARIO PRACTICE AND FEEDBACK
- Integrate skills and receive feedback on rescue response from a professional.
ADVANCED AND COMPLEX AVALANCHE RESCUE TOPICS
- Employ probing on a line with a partner to reduce search times and need for bracketing.
- Apply foundational skills to multiple victim scenarios without close proximity burials.
- Recognize challenges associated with deep burials.
- Employ repeatable method (Micro-strip or 3-circle) for locating close-proximity multiple burials
As compared to other Alpine Ascents trips I have been on (Denali, Elbrus), this trip was on par with the level of service I have come to know Alpine Ascents by. As compared to other organizations, this trip was on the high end with regards to ease of use, services, options offered.