Elbrus Team #1 (The Glissladers) goes for it!
Friends, Family & Loved Ones,
Boy were we glad that we waited a day (lots of wind and some snow overnight)– and hopefully our patience will pay off. Our plan is to start our summit push Monday morning (Russia time) at 3:30 am. So today, Sunday, we spent some time talking about strategy for the summit push and packing our packs.
![]()
Mostly whiteout conditions today around the hut (– although very warm) meant that we stayed close to the Huts and worked on our anchor and pulley system skills.
![]()
Also got some extra rest for our big push to the summit. The whole Team is feeling really good and excited for our climb to the top of Europe.
Check in tomorrow to see how it all went!
Carole & Vern Tejas
Elbrus Team #1 (The Glissaders) Practice their Skills!
Friends, Family & Loved Ones,
What a difference a day makes! The blue sky! The panoramic views! No wind! Couldn’t be better.
![]()
We spent this morning practicing our self arrest skills– basically hurling ourselves down a steep snow slope and then using good technique to stop our fall. Fun, but wet. Most importantly, we now feel confident in our skills.
In the afternoon, we practiced clipping in and out of a fixed line to prepare for the upper mountain.
![]()
For extra credit, and in building clouds, we had an afternoon seminar on pulley systems for crevasse rescue.
![]()
The important news: as nice as the weather was for most of today, we got a not so great weather forecast for early morning, so we have decided to use our spare weather day and start our summit attempt on the wee hours of Monday morning.
Check back with us tomorrow for a rundown of our further adventures,
Carole & Vern Tejas
![]()
Elbrus Team #1 (The Glissaders) get high!
Friends, Family & Loved Ones,
Greetings from 12,800 feet on the flanks of Mount Elbrus. This morning, wearing our crampons we hiked up to the bottom of Pashtakov Rocks – just under 15,000 feet. We had weather! A wee bit of sun, but mostly whiteout and, as we got higher, blustery winds. For three maybe four minutes at one point, the winds succeeded in blowing away most of the clouds, so if we were paying close attention, we could see the Eastern summit of the mountain and a cool panorama of the jagged Caucasus Range behind us. But it was a mostly whiteout day. Weather notwithstanding, we had a great hike up to the rocks. Some steeper “off-road” sections were exciting and the steep angle of the trail itself allowed us to practice our cramponing skills. The Team was super strong and everyone did great.
![]()
Along the way, we were adopted by a small black dog hanging out just below Pastakov Rocks, who must have known that we would give him food scraps upon our return to the hut. For now, the Team is calling him “Toto”.
![]()
This afternoon, we tied knots and rigged a “cow tail” safety cord for the summit fix line.
All my best,
Carole and Vern Tejas
![]()
Elbrus Team #1 (The Glissaders) Glacier Photos
![]()
![]()
All my best,
Vern Tejas
Elbrus Team #1 (The Glissaders) Tour the Glacier
Friends, Family & Loved Ones,
Another great day for the Glissaders. This morning, we moved from our hotel in Terskol to the Leaprus Huts – we’re now at just over 12,500 feet. The gondolas dropped us about 25 minutes walk below the Huts, which was a good warm up (and it WAS warm!). After we got here we wasted no time and donned our harnesses, clipped in and took a short walk before lunch. After lunch, we headed out on the glacier again for a three hour tour of roped travel. We crossed a couple of big crevasses, but very secure snow bridges didn’t slow us down. One steep pitch and a gentle descent back to the Huts for some free time before dinner. We’ll send some photos separately. All in all, a fun day with some great views in and out of the clouds.
We’re doing well and hoping for some more good weather tomorrow for our hike to Pashtakov Rocks.
Thanks for following us,
Carole & Vern Tejas
Amazing experience! Honestly, without the perfect decision making by Vern and support of Carole, this team may never have come close to summiting due to weather and choosing the time to go.